BOPLA enclosures in railway applications
BOPLA, founded in Bünde, Germany, is currently one of the world's largest producers of plastic and aluminum housing for industry. Its extensive offer also includes products that will be used in demanding railway applications. Among the available models, it is worth taking a look at the polyester and aluminum Euromas housings and the aluminum Bocube. All mentioned lines have features that contribute to creating a safe working environment for electrical and electronic devices in rail vehicles.
Polyester Euromas enclosures are available in 27 sizes. They are characterized by IP66 tightness class in accordance with the DIN EN 60529 standard and impact protection based on IEC 62262 in the range of IK07 - IK09 (up to impacts with a force of 10N), which depends on the size of the product. The enclosures are certified with a UL 94 flammability rating, meeting the requirements of class V-0. The optimal price-quality ratio, fire protection properties, adequate protection against corrosion of components and resistance to UV radiation make polyester housings used in railway applications inside vehicles and in less demanding external solutions.
The group of aluminum housings consists of the Euromas Alu and Bocube Alu lines. The products are distinguished by design and degree of protection against ingress. However, it combines the highest level of fire protection HL3 in accordance with DIN EN 45545-2. 54 different housing sizes divided into two groups make it easier to adjust the solution to the dimensions of the installation space. High resistance to mechanical damage creates an effective solution for outdoor and more demanding railway applications.
Euromas Alu is a classic line of aluminum housings offered by BOPLA. It is distinguished by:
- 43 enclosure sizes with precisely matched technical documentation,
- made of high-quality G Al Si 12 aluminum alloy
- particular attention to the quality of seal assembly, which translates into meeting the requirements of stringent standards for the protection of end devices,
- poured neoprene gasket ensures a high degree of protection - minimum IP66 according to DIN EN 60529,
- Higher temperature resistance is provided by an optional silicone gasket,
- a special version of the EMC gasket is available on request, ensuring a conductive connection between the cover and the base,
- the housing meets the requirements of R1 or R7 in accordance with the DIN EN 45545-2 standard with a hazard level of HL3 and UL certification requirements,
- IK09 impact protection class according to IEC 62262,
- housing variants with a transparent polycarbonate cover and unpainted ones with a poured gasket in the cover, which allows the ingress protection level to be increased to IP67,
- possibility of color adjustment by the manufacturer or on your own and testing the protection level of the sample in a water chamber at the manufacturer's premises,
- Numerous matching mounting accessories: hinges, plates, wall and pole mounting brackets.
Bocube Alu, the second of the presented lines of aluminum enclosures, maintains high standards of protection while having a more modern design. It is characterized by:
- variants with cast-in seals made of neoprene or silicone,
- versions closed with hinges and screwed together with mounting screws,
- recess in the cover for mounting front-mounted displays and keyboards, with a large surface on the sides for attaching cable glands,
- precisely mounted gasket ensures protection class IP69 according to DIN EN 60529,
- adaptation to the requirements of R1 or R7 in accordance with the DIN EN 45545-2 standard with the HL3 hazard level and UL certification,
- impact protection class IK09 according to IEC 62262.
Below is a video prepared by BOPLA showcasing its Bocube Alu line of products, which are a new take on the conservative can-type enclosure market:
If enclosures are subjected to large variations in temperature and pressure, it is worthwhile to use elements to equalise the pressure inside the enclosure in relation to the surroundings, as well as ventilation and drainage elements.